The Texas Department of Transportation has informed the University of Houston there will be significant traffic flow changes on Spur 5 beginning as early as Monday, May 22. The immediate changes include:
- Spur 5 will have only one southbound lane open from University Drive to Old Spanish Trail (leading away from campus).
- All northbound lanes on Spur 5 between Old Spanish Trail and University Drive (leading to campus) will be closed and the Wheeler Avenue intersection at Spur 5 will not be accessible.
- To enter campus from Old Spanish Trail, we recommend taking the alternate route via Martin Luther King Boulevard, which connects to Wheeler Avenue.
- Wheeler Avenue remains open between southbound Spur 5 and Martin Luther King Boulevard.
Spur 5 Traffic Map
Please note that this construction along Spur 5 between University Drive and Old Spanish Trail is anticipated to last a minimum of 120 days. While it may cause some inconvenience during this period, this work is part of a larger, multi-year project to extend Spur 5 and build a four-lane roadway with elevated, multi-directional interchanges between SH 35 (Spur 5) and I-610 South Loop. The purpose of the proposed project is to:
- Accommodate regional population growth
- Reduce traffic congestion within the project area
- Increase north/south mobility
- Increase hurricane evacuation capacity